Thursday, December 01, 2005
Backache.
The game was,in a word,painful. I made mistakes, so did everyone. I made some good calls,so did everyone. We played one man short against undoubtably one of the dirtier teams in B division. We might have drawed against them,but I believe that our cooler heads prevailed. We had let them dictate the game in the first half, and I don't think the referee could become an honest judge.
Sadiq and Saha scored beautiful tries and I lament the multiple attempts that could have been tries if not for the blindedness of the referee and the dirty tactics employed by the younger and immature team. My God, I'm so bloody proud of my forwards yesterday; despite being one man short, their mauls,rucks and drives were so fantastic I had no problem recyling the ball to the backs. It was beautiful to watch,just like the Saint Andrews' forward drives. God,if our teamplay could improve with just two days of training, just imagine with four months of training. We would be up there with teams with five years' experience. SAJC, ACJC, RJC; we would be able to hold them to a truce. But consistency is paramount; with only a squad of eighteen players, everyone must do their part and put their all in training.
I know I must,my performance in the match was dismal; according to Faizal who was with Ah Chuan at the sidelines. Every few seconds Ah Chuan will cry out,"Zaki,what are you doing?!". Seeing that Ah Chuan was invoking my name in vain even more than God's name, I realised something is seriously amiss with my play. The only thing I was happy with was that my supertackle attack work; I could hear the guy go "hmmph!" when I jumped down on his back after Saleh and Adam missed him.
The other thing I was happy about was that I made myself Greenridge's public enemy number one. I realised that they were targeting certain players in my team and causing them more stress and pressure on themselves. I can't let that happen to my team which was having difficulty focusing on their play. So I took it upon myself to piss the Greenridge team off. And so they were; they were so engrossed about killing me that they forgot about pissing off the rest of my team. I didn't count the number of "late" tackles that I received. The amount of elbows to my head during the second half. It was my sacrifice; having Greenridge take dirty punches at me so that my team can play properly. And I am so proud of that.
Sadiq and Saha scored beautiful tries and I lament the multiple attempts that could have been tries if not for the blindedness of the referee and the dirty tactics employed by the younger and immature team. My God, I'm so bloody proud of my forwards yesterday; despite being one man short, their mauls,rucks and drives were so fantastic I had no problem recyling the ball to the backs. It was beautiful to watch,just like the Saint Andrews' forward drives. God,if our teamplay could improve with just two days of training, just imagine with four months of training. We would be up there with teams with five years' experience. SAJC, ACJC, RJC; we would be able to hold them to a truce. But consistency is paramount; with only a squad of eighteen players, everyone must do their part and put their all in training.
I know I must,my performance in the match was dismal; according to Faizal who was with Ah Chuan at the sidelines. Every few seconds Ah Chuan will cry out,"Zaki,what are you doing?!". Seeing that Ah Chuan was invoking my name in vain even more than God's name, I realised something is seriously amiss with my play. The only thing I was happy with was that my supertackle attack work; I could hear the guy go "hmmph!" when I jumped down on his back after Saleh and Adam missed him.
The other thing I was happy about was that I made myself Greenridge's public enemy number one. I realised that they were targeting certain players in my team and causing them more stress and pressure on themselves. I can't let that happen to my team which was having difficulty focusing on their play. So I took it upon myself to piss the Greenridge team off. And so they were; they were so engrossed about killing me that they forgot about pissing off the rest of my team. I didn't count the number of "late" tackles that I received. The amount of elbows to my head during the second half. It was my sacrifice; having Greenridge take dirty punches at me so that my team can play properly. And I am so proud of that.