Friday, May 27, 2005

Fly Onyx Fly!

Some days are the ones that you just can't forget.I will never forget this day.At 12.06pm,Onyx house was declared the overall house champion for MI's 2nd annual track and field meet.The journey we took to reach this was overwhelmingly long.Like I said before,the captains;Azar,Siti and Anisha,really prepare hard for this event.They virtually left no stone unturned.Really proud of my house spirit committee Hardi and Joanne,I don't know how you pull it off but you moved Onyx to the rhythm of your beat.The cheerleaders also did Onyx really proud.Synchronized and totally awe-inspiring,all your hard work really paid off.Just in case I forgot something,here's what happen for that six hours.

I reached Toa Payoh Stadium at 6.40am by taxi.When I came into the stadium,I could see Garnet's cheerleaders already suited up and rehearsing their moves.Onyx's cheerleaders came a few minutes after me.I could see that they were a bit tense but they were all smiles about it.I then talked a bit with Mr Ram,my house master,to pass the time.Soon the others came and we started putting up banners and posters, painted barcodes onto our hands and went through the cheers with Hardi and Joanne.We had the usual attendance taking and assembly.Then all the house captains had to meet Mr Heikal for the marching in of the house colours.Onyx had all the captains,exco and a few extras for the contingent.Plus a Phoenix mascot that suspiciously look like a chicken.Oh well,you can't get it all.I was the flagbearer and I was damn proud to see the flag flapping in the gentle breeze.Hafiz from Bartley who was the mascot did a little dance and faked being shot when Mrs Ong fired the pistol to declare the meet open.Heh,that was funny.

We started with the 100m finals.Onyx didn't have much sprinters so I didn't paid much attention.Although I know Julie and Muru got placed.I,Hafiz and Vicknesh started warming up for 1500m and went up to register.There were only like a few guys and most of them are track people.I wasn't pretty confident of myself after what happen during the cross-country and I did my best to follow Hafiz.I felt that Hafiz went out too fast and when he slowed down after the first round,I had no choice but to set the pace.Another amazing thing.During the race I could hear the announcer saying "Here comes two Onyx runners leading around the bend!".And when I kicked during the home stretch,"Onyx is finishing with a sprint!".Now that is good to hear.Something happen with Angelo and Nicholas;they started too slow and I didn't hear them at all during the race although I felt constantly threatened by them.

I didn't know what really happened after the 1500m.I was dizzy like I'm drunk and Hafiz was really out of it.I did remember Anisha and I making a formal complaint to Mr Velu about her being out of the 1500m girls.And Hafiz the Phoenix danced some more.What else?Oh yeah,we totally sucked at the Novelty race,something about running blind or something.We also sucked at the teacher's race.But there was three things I clearly remembered while I was lightheaded.Onyx was the only house to fill up the the three spots on the podium.No other house did that.Another thing was the cheerleading competition.Sapphire was alright,Garnet was pulling all the shots and Zircon was impressive.But when Onyx came on,they were electrifying!Everyone,at least in my house,was standing and screaming like hell.Onyx seemed to have the X-factor that the other cheerleaders lack.It was really power to the core.I was blown away by the explosive routine.The last thing was the mixed parluff.We lost,again.We thought we could capitalize on Andrew's early lead but the other houses had more sprinters than we did.Anisha did her best to cut the lead but when I got the baton,we were 100m behind the second last team.I thought "Oh shit.No way in hell can Michael Johnson catch up with them.Well then.Run fast,and look good trying."And I was surprised to have some of the Onyx people telling me I ran really well after the race.It's all in the running posture man!

When it came to the final prize-giving session,I can tell you we were depressed.Having lost all the relays today was enough for us I can tell you.And I became more anxious as the other houses got their medals and trophies.No one from Onyx received the indiviual champion.Then when results for the cheerleading competition came out,we were all quiet.Garnet third,and Zircon second.I was praying real hard for our cheerleaders to win.And they did.Then there was the Spirit of the House award,given to the house which has shown the most spirit during the meet.Onyx took it again.Two out of four main awards given.We were all waiting for the results of the overall House champion.I was wishing hard for that trophy.When the announcer named Onyx,I was stumped.Then I screamed like mad.And screamed some more.See,it was a good day for me and Onyx today.Real good.






Captains of Onyx







House spirit rules!







Little birdie..



Fine catch.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?