Tuesday, April 19, 2005

So what if we won?We still suck.

The start of the A division Rugby Nationals,and we are up by three points.But it was a poor game and I believed the whole team agrees with me.Sam presented a target 40-0 for us;we ended up with 14-0.Only two freaking tries and Mutu would easily admit that the second try was a cheap one.I wouldn't be truthful if I say HCI was a good team.They are not and they simply rely on long punts.It says something about a team's character if within thirty metres of our tryline,they decide to do a place kick in place of a scrummage.It says that the team either suck at scrummage,or that the standoff had big balls.In this case,both is true.Hwa Chong suck at scrums,and the standoff has big balls but not enough skill to pull it off.One on one,we were better than the rest of the HC team.But the fucking thing was the fact we were commiting too many penalties.You name the infringement,we probably did it in the game.It really sucks having been inside their 22metre area seven times and not being able to score a try.It really sucks.It also suck for another reason.

It is called the curse of the reserve scrumhalf.All teams encounter this poor curse.Let me backtrack abit.In all teams,there would always be subsitutes for a game.In a typical team,there would be a few reserve forwards mostly being able to cover the skills of the tight five and the loose three.Likewise for the backs,the few reserves would be able to play the different positions on the backline.But there is only one reserve scrumhalf.Now I wouldn't be wrong if I am to say that the scrumhalf is the most specialized position.Let me list the attributes required.A fellow scrumhalf must-
1.the most basic skill of all,pass the ball accurately.
2.the other basic skill,tackle big forwards and bringing them down.
3.a specialized skill here,do the different scrumhalf passes;diving,pivot and so on,with sufficient technique.
4.another one,do a box kick and cross kick;that is to pick up the ball from the ground,take a step and evade the bloody flanker and kick the ball accurately within a second step.
5.a big thing to ask for,remember both the backs and forwards teamcalls and carrying them out in seconds.
6.be a crafty bastard who can trick another scrumhalf,another crafty bastard.
7.being able to play the ball out to the forwards when required,and passing it to the backs when they are screaming for it.
8.running with the ball when the backs are too dumb to do anything at all and when the forwards are being too slow,a very risky proposition as the opposition flankers are very attracted to the number 9.
9.Cajole the backs to let the forwards play,and knock it into the latter's heads when they are doing nuts about the ball.
10.Know very well the nuts and bolts of the scrum,lineout,maul and ruck,the basic components of rugby.

In short,scrumhalves are a breed of their own and whoever have the above-mentioned attributes and much more is a cut above the rest.So you can imagine what a great scrumhalf Navin is.And 1st team scrumhalves would need all the training they can afford.So they would take part in all the team plays and such.And the reserve scrumhalf,only one as having two is anathema,would guide the year 1s in playing the game.In letting one reach his peak in that position,the other would be in a stagnant level where he would not have enough game experience or get used to playing along with the first team.Case in point,me.I never did play as scrumhalf in the games I play,switching mainly to the wings or fullback.And so it was just now.I played a grand total of five seconds on the open wing.I am really afraid if something happens to Navin and I have to replace him,the amount of knowledge I have to play scrumhalf barely scratch the surface of his.And now most teams target and hammer the scrumhalf specifically because they know the reserve scrumhalf who replaces the first is a complete jackarse idiot who know nuts about the position he is playing.I fear that the complete jackarse idiot is me.Damn the curse of the reserve scrumhalf.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?